Rethinking Pedagogy: Interrogating Ways of Promoting Deeper Learning in Higher Education
1 University of Eswatini, SWAZILAND* Corresponding Author
European Journal of Interactive Multimedia and Education, 3(1), 2022, e02204, https://doi.org/10.30935/ejimed/11439
Published: 20 December 2021
OPEN ACCESS 635 Views 810 Downloads
Teaching and learning in higher education should shift from surface learning to deeper learning. Deeper learning provides opportunities for students to achieve high learning outcomes. However, there is a dearth of information on the utilization of deeper learning in higher education. Deeper learning demands educators to employ pedagogy that enhances the acquisition of higher-order skills. Through deeper learning, students develop critical skills that are necessary for the twenty-first century. Such skills enable the students to succeed in their careers and social life. In this paper, the authors explore deeper learning for enhancing teaching and learning in higher education. In particular, unpacking the competencies of deeper learning. The paper focuses on promoting problem-solving, content knowledge, critical thinking, communication, and collaboration, contextualising learning, learning how to learn, transferring of knowledge and skills, the utilisation of digital technology supporting students to become life-long learners, as well as deeper learning and the 21st-century skills. To collect data, a desktop review of deeper learning competencies was done. In conclusion, the paper proposes the most appropriate strategies for promoting deeper learning for the attainment of 21st-century skills.
Keywords: critical skills, digital technology, deeper learning, higher education
Mthethwa-Kunene, K., Rugube, T., & Maphosa, C. (2022). Rethinking Pedagogy: Interrogating Ways of Promoting Deeper Learning in Higher Education. European Journal of Interactive Multimedia and Education, 3(1), e02204. https://doi.org/10.30935/ejimed/11439
- Beghetto, R. A., & Kaufmann J. C. (2010). Nurturing creativity in the classroom. Cambridge. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511781629
- Behar-Horenstein, L. S. (2011). Teaching critical thinking skills in higher education: A review of the literature. Journal of College Teaching & Learning, 8(2), 25-42. https://doi.org/10.19030/tlc.v8i2.3554
- Behrendt, M., & Franklin, T. (2014). A review of research on school field trips and their value in education. International Journal of Environmental & Science Education, 9, 235-245. https://doi.org/10.4304/jltr.4.5.939-952
- Bellanca, J. A. (2015). Deeper learning: Beyond 21st century skills. Leading Edge.
- Bitter, C., & Loney E. (2015). Deeper learning: Improving students’ life for college, career and civic life. Education Policy Center at American Institutes for Research. https://www.air.org/resource/deeper-learning-improving-student-outcomes-college-career-and-civic-life
- Bosch, C. (2017). Promoting self-directed learning through the implementation of cooperative learning in a higher education blended learning environment (PhD thesis). Faculty of Education, North-West University. https://www.academia.edu/36344387/Promoting_self_directed_learning_through_the_implementation_of_cooperative_learning_in_a_higher_education_blended_learning_environment
- Bosch, C., Mentz, E., & Goede, R. (2019). Self-directed learning: A conceptual overview. In E. Mentz, J. De Beer, & R. Bailey (Eds.), Self-directed Learning for the 21st century: Implications for higher education (NWU Self-Directed Learning Series Volume 1, pp. 1-36).
- Boyer, S. L., Edmondson, D. R., Artis, A. B., & Fleming, D. (2014). Self-directed learning: A tool for lifelong learning. Journal of Marketing Education, 36(1), 20-32. https://doi.org/10.1177/0273475313494010
- Cheng, E. C. K. (2011). The role of self-regulated learning in enhancing learning performance. The International Journal of Research and Review, 6(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-61692-901-5.ch015
- Coffey, H. (2015). Project-based learning.
- Crainer, S., & Dearlove, D. (2014). Future thinkers. New thinking on leadership, strategy, and innovation for the twenty-first century. McGraw-Hill.
- Czerkawski, B. C. (2014). Designing deeper learning experiences for online instruction. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 13(2), 29-40.
- Dede, C. (2014). The role of digital technologies in deeper learning. Students at the center: Deeper learning research series. Jobs for the Future.
- Del Carmen, A. V., & Bartolome, J. A. (2018). Promoting global citizenship through an information-based focus on United Nations international events. SHS Web of Conferences 59, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1051/shsconf/20185901003
- Draper, S. W. (2009). Catalytic assessment: Understanding how MCQs and EVS can foster deep learning. British Journal of Educational Technology, 40(2), 285-293. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2008.00920.x
- Fahim, M., & Masouleh, N.S. (2012). Critical Thinking in Higher Education: A Pedagogical Look. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 2(7), 1370-1375. https://doi.org/10.4304/tpls.2.7.1370-1375
- Fink (2003). Creating significant learning experiences: An integrated approach to designing college courses. Jossey-Bass.
- Freire, P. (1970). Pedagogy of the oppressed. Continuum. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-5583-7_610
- Fullan, M., & Langworthy, M. (2014). A rich seam: How new pedagogies find deep Learning. Pearson. https://michaelfullan.ca/a-rich-seam-how-new-pedagogies-find-deep-learning/
- Fullan, M., Hill, P., & Rincón-Gallardo, S. (2017). Deep learning: Shaking the foundations. New pedagogies for deep learning: A global partnership. https://www.academia.edu/32379482/Deep_Learning_Shaking_the_Foundations
- Hanneya, R., & Savin-Badenb, M. (2013). The problem of projects: Understanding the theoretical underpinnings of project-led PBL. London Review of Education, 11(1), 7-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/14748460.2012.761816
- Hegedus, S. J., & Roschelle, J. (2012) Highly adaptive, interactive instruction. In C. Dede, J. Richards, & M. C. Linn (Eds.), Digital teaching platforms: Customizing classroom learning for each student (pp. 103). Teachers College Press.
- Hewlett Foundation. (2013). Deeper learning competencies. http://www.hewlett.org/uploads/documents/Deeper_Learning_Defined__April_2013.pdf
- Hill, J., Walkington, H., & France, D. (2016). Graduate attributes: implications for higher education practice and policy. Journal of Geography in Higher Education, 40(2), 155-163. https://doi.org/10.1080/03098265.2016.1154932
- Hosseini, A. (2011). University student’s evaluation of creative education in universities and their impact on their learning. Procedia - Social and Behavioural Sciences, 15, 1806-1812. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.04.007
- Hunde, A. B., & Tacconi, G. (2018). Contextualising teaching. Teaching practice developed by expert teacher educators. Form@re - Open Journal per la formazione in rete, 18(1), 83-96. https://doi.org/10.13128/formare-22962
- Jantakoon, T., Wannapiroon, P., & Nilsook, P. (2019). Virtual immersive learning environments (VILEs) based on digital storytelling to enhance deeper learning for undergraduate students. Higher Education Studies, 9(1), 144-150. https://doi.org/10.5539/hes.v9n1p144
- Laal, M., Laal, M., & Kermanshahi, Z. K. (2012). 21st century learning; learning in collaboration. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 47, 1696-1701. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.06.885
- Martinez, M. R., McGrath, D. R., & Foster, E. (2016). How deeper learning can create a new vision for teaching. National Commission on Teaching and America’s Future. http://www.monicarmartinez.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/NCTAF-How-Deeper-Learning-Can-Create-a-New-Vision-for-Teaching.pdf
- Ngussa, B. M., & Makewa, L. N. (2014). Student voice in curriculum change: A theoretical reasoning. International Journal of Academic Research in Progressive Education and Development, 3(3), 23-37. https://doi.org/10.6007/IJARPED/v3-i3/949
- Pahomov, L. (2014). Authentic Learning in the Digital Age: Engaging Students Through Inquiry. ASCD.
- Pearson. (2020). Consumer-focused lifelong learning. https://plc.pearson.com/en-US/purpose/lifelong-learning
- Pellegrino, J. W., & Hilton, M. L. (Eds.). (2012). Committee on defining deeper learning and 21st century skills. Education for Life and Work: Developing Transferable Knowledge and Skills in the 21st Century. National Research Council.
- Pijanowski, L. (2018). 8 principles of deeper learning. https://www.edutopia.org/article/8-principles-deeper-learning
- Rahman, M. M. (2019). 21st century skill “problem solving”: Defining the concept. Asian Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, 2(1), 64-74.
- Rickles, J., Zeiser, K. L., Yang, R., O’Day, J., & Garet, M. S. (2019). Promoting deeper learning in high school: Evidence of opportunities and outcomes. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 41(2), 214-234.
- Robbins, S., & Hoggan, C. (2019). Collaborative learning in higher education to improve employability: Opportunities and challenges. New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education, 163, 95-108.
- Robinson, A. (Ed.). (2013). Exceptional creativity in science and technology. Templeton Press.
- Ruuskanen, T., Vehkamäki, H., Riuttanen, L., & Lauri, A. (2018). An exploratory study of the learning of transferable skills in a research-oriented intensive course in atmospheric sciences. Sustainability, 10, 1-20.
- Salna, L. (2012). Creativity as a 21st century skill: Training teachers to take it beyond the arts (Master of science dissertation). Buffalo State, State University of New York.
- Scriven, M., & Paul, R. (2007). Defining critical thinking. The Critical Thinking Community: Foundation for Critical Thinking. http://www.criticalthinking.org/aboutCT/define_critical_thinking.cfm
- Shakirova, D. M. (2007). Technology for the shaping of college students’ and upper-grade students’ critical thinking. Russian Education & Society, 49(9), 42-52.
- Spronken-Smith, R., Buissink-Smith, N., Bond, C., & Grigg, G. (2015). Graduates' orientations to higher education and their retrospective experiences of teaching and learning. Teaching and Learning Inquiry, 3(2), 55-70.
- UNESCO. (2015). Global citizenship education: topics and learning objectives. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0023/002329/232993e.pdf
- VanderArk, T., & Schneider, C. (2012). How digital learning contributes to deeper learning. https://www.gettingsmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Digital-Learning-Deeper-Learning-Full-White-Paper.pdf
- Župarić, J. (2011). The role of universities in promoting lifelong learning: European experience and Croatian perspective. Interdisciplinary Management Research, 5, 255-363.